Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Needle Song

There is only one song about needles that I like. Needless to say, it is a James Taylor ditty. I tried to find a version of it for my player, but it wasn't available. JT spent a little time recovering from one sort of thing or another and this, supposedly, is his take on being tranquilized. I realize that this is not quite the same thing that I do in conjunction with needles, but slightly oblique content hasn't stopped me in the past. Frankly, I'm just waiting for Friday to get here and I wanted to hear the song again; it makes me feel that I am not quite alone in all of this.

Just knocking around the zoo on a Thursday afternoon
There's bars on all the windows and they're counting up the spoons
And if I'm feeling edgy there's a chick who's paid to be my slave
But she'll hit me with a needle if she thinks I'm trying to misbehave
+
Now the keeper's trying to cool me says I'm bound to be alright
But I know that he can't fool me 'cause I'm putting him uptight
And I can feel him getting edgy every time I make a sudden move
And I can hear them celebrating every time I up and leave the room
+
Now my friends all came to see me they point at me and stare
Said he's just like the rest of us so what's he doing in there
They hide in their movie theaters drinking juice-keeping tight
'Cause they're certain about one thing that zoo's no place to spend the night
+
Just knocking around the zoo on a Thursday afternoon
There's bars on all the windows and they're counting up the spoons
And if I'm feeling edgy there's a chick who's paid to be my slave
But she'll hit me with a needle if she thinks I'm trying to misbehave
***
These are my sentiments just about every time I go to the Infusion Center. I suppose that one of the reasons that I misbehave there, is that I know that I am going to be hit with the needle regardless of whether I behave or not.




Well, after all that, there is another needle song, but it involves Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, and Tammy Wynette. For some of you, that little tune will seem like the Infusion Center writ large.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, yes...knocking 'round the zoo...I love that song! it always reminds me of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest" and a vision of Jack Nicholson being smothered with a pillow rises from the dust of my memories....MEMORY! ALL ALONE IN THE MOOOOOOOON LIIIIIIIIIIGHT....

DebbieLou said...

Is your proceedure similar to donating blood, or is it a little more involved?

Zaphod said...

It is exactly like donating blood, but they throw it away.